The Church is not a building. The church is not a steeple. The church is not the altar. The church is the people.
You are only a stranger once at Sherman UMC! From the first time you enter our doors we do our best to make you feel at home. Our welcome center is located in the lobby of our Noyes Street entrance. You are welcome to become part of any and all of the ministries SUMC takes part in. Sherman participates in hosting a soup kitchen 4 times a year through our outreach ministry. Our Youth lead the service and our children make a special presentation every fifth Sunday. Sherman’s United Methodist Women participate in ministry both locally and globally. You could become part of the choir or find your niche in prayer group or Bible study. See more on Our specific ministry areas under the Ministry tab.
Sherman UMC is located on a convenient corner at Ridge Ave. and Noyes St. in Evanston, IL within easy walking distance of Northwestern University and Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary. A one block walk takes you to either the Purple Line station to the East or the Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center just to the South on Ridge.
As a United Methodist Church Sherman UMC is part of the Chicago Northwest District under the superintendency of Rev. Dr. Brittany Isaacs and the Northern Illinois Conference under the leadership of Bishop Sally Dyck.
Important to Sherman UMC are its Mission, Vision, and Values. These are statements of who we try to be in our quest to be the hands and feet of Christ in the world.
Sharing the love of God in Word and Actions
Develop Christian visionary leaders to share the story of Jesus Christ and inspire solutions to local and global issues
- Hospitality and Welcoming through reaching out, listening, and encouraging diversity
- Spiritual Nurturing through worship, Bible study, prayer, baptism, communion, Sunday school, youth ministry
- Stewardship through time talents resources, service
- Outreach through our programs for food for the hungry, shelter for the homeless, helping hand for the “sick and shut-in”, educational assistance (tutoring), and mission opportunities
- Leadership Development for youth and adults through ministry, Bible study and life skills training
To learn more about our special involvements with Shorefront Legacy Center and Fisk University Choir, those pages are also available under the About tab.